Banner Haven opened in 2012 but the property history dates back more than 100 years, to the era of Biltmore House, the Vanderbilts, and the Grove Park Inn.
The original house was built in 1910. Although it has gone through many interior and exterior changes over the years, its general appearance hasn’t changed. Located just inside the town of Banner Elk North Carolina the property has only changed hands a few times in more than a century. However, during this time it’s been a family home, a summer camp for girls, and a school house, a rental property and now a bed and breakfast.
The house was built in 1910, as a private residence and remained that until 1926 when the property opened as “Beech Haven Camp for Girls” an exclusive girls camp that operated until 1940. A catastrophic flood devastated the area in 1940, destroying cabins and closing the camp, which never recovered.
The house again became a private residence, but was also home to a blacksmith and school, at points during the next 40 years, until a couple remodelled and made it their home in the early 1970s. It remained a private residence until purchase by Bud Hanh, when it became a rental property.